LAS in Action – December

January 30, 2019

My name is Chelsea Lane and I am 24 years old. I am working on my Bachelors in Psychology with a minor in Latin American Studies. I am a single mother and I work full-time at a non-profit organization for youth in foster care. This is the gratitude tree at my job, Embrace Families. This tree has handprints from many youth in foster who felt there were many times it was hard to be grateful; this tree can give anyone a burst of gratitude, seeing the strengths that these youth hold. I, myself am a former foster youth, who refused to be another statistic. I fight every day to change the lives of others for the passion and love in my heart. I am whole when I am helping others; that can range from the neighbor, to an entire population of youth in foster care. I push for a better community, a better future, and a better sense of self. No matter how hard life gets or how busy my plate is, or as many times as I want to give up, I refuse to do so because I want to prove to the population similar to myself that anything is possible, as long as you work hard, love, and be brave.