Free Quechua class November 19

October 31, 2019

Come and join instructor Norma Ledesma  on the 19th of November for the final free Quechua class this semester!

UCF students are exploring Latin American cultures this Hispanic Heritage Month with free weekly Quechua language classes.

Spanish instructor Norma Ledesma began teaching the classes Tuesday, Sept. 10, and will be teaching them every Tuesday until the end of the semester.

Quechua is a language spoken by over 10 million people across the central Andes Mountains in South America, including countries like Peru, Bolivia, Argentina, Colombia, Ecuador and Chile.

Ledesma was born and raised in Peru; and she grew up learning both Spanish and Quechua. The class covers basic Quechua phrases, the alphabet, verb conjugations and more.

“[Growing up learning both languages] was important for me because I understood the culture,” Ledesma said. “Globalization is everywhere, and people need to reconnect through languages. I hope this Quechua language [class] will help some students who are interested in learning this language to know about the beliefs, customs and cultural aspects.”

About 15 people attend the classes every week. If there is enough interest among students, Ledesma said Quechua might start to be offered as an official class at UCF as early as this spring.

Many students like Camila Murphy, senior interdisciplinary studies major, attend every week in the hopes of being able to understand basic Quechua when traveling to regions that speak it.

“I think what she teaches is very helpful for basic communication, so I’ll definitely focus outside of the class on really learning what she teaches us,” Murphy said.

The class attracts not only students, but teachers too. Milagro Truyol, a Spanish instructor at UCF, said she thinks it’s important to learn multiple languages.

“I think it’s part of my identity,” Truyol said. “I’m Colombian, so it’s always good to know a second language. You never know where you’re going to end up. It kind of brings back some memories from when I was learning English.”

Ledesma hopes that these classes will not only provide a basic understanding of the language and culture, but help students connect with others.

“You can change the world with communication,” Ledesma said. “Around the world we need more interaction and language interconnects everyone.”